The National Gallery of Ireland
The Refurbishment of the National Gallery is being carried out in a number of phases. Phase 1 involved the replacement of the existing roof of the Dargan Wing. Phase 2 involves the complete refurbishment of the historic buildings (which are protected structures) and the construction of an infill building to create an new atrium space. The historic buildings (Dargan and Milltown Wings) date from 1853 and are to be completely renovated and upgraded. The building is land-locked and has a deep profile.
The new systems have been designed to be integrated into to the existing structure and conserve as far as reasonably practicable the historic fabric by means of sympathetic installation and good conservation practice. The overall redevelopment is approximately 7,500m2 in area.
The works includes the creation of a Paintings Storage Area extending to approximately 425m2, which is fully design to meet PD5454.
It is predicted that on completion of the works, Visitor numbers will increase to around 1 million from present levels (650,000 – 700,000).
The design service including:
- Working within Historic Buildings that are subject to a Protection Order.
- Large scale Public Works Contract using GCCC Form of Contract.
- Refurbishment works carried out in a “live” campus environment while the remainder of the National Gallery remains in operation as the redevelopment takes place.
- Production of Fire Safety Strategy and Fire Safety Certification Application.
- Design of specialist high pressure water mist installation including full hydraulic calculations for property and protection collection.
- Design of specialist smoke ventilation for atrium space
- Preliminary & detail design
- Production of full tender package to GCCC Form of Contract
- Pre-tender cost estimate and check
- Tender evaluation
- Site monitoring
- Designers Role under Safety, Health & Welfare Regulations including preparation of Designer Risk Assessments at each stage of the design.
Construction Cost: Phase 1 €2.2M, Phase 2 €26M