Gartnavel Royal Chapel
The Gartnavel Royal Hospital Chapel, which is now occupied and run as a Calman Cancer Support Centre, was a refurbishment and extension project to this historic, John James Burnet designed building.
The Chapel was originally built in 1904 in the grounds of the now Gartnavel Hospital in Glasgow.
This category B listed property had seen better days having fallen into disrepair, see above, but after an option appraisal identified a need for cancer support facilities work started in 2011.
The vision was to provide a charity focused support facility for anyone affected by cancer through counselling and complementary therapy facilities.
The accommodation now comprises: therapy rooms, counselling rooms, meeting room, reception, open plan multi function space, library and computer area, kitchen toilet and shower facilities. There is disabled access to all areas and a warm, friendly and non clinical atmosphere.
FLN were employed through the Architect for the design of the M&E services from conception to completion and handover of the building, for The Glasgow Building Preservation Trust.
As part the work FLN incorporated energy efficiency into the design into the building by the use of underfloor heating with high efficiency boiler plant and efficient and sympathetic lighting design.
Construction Cost: £1.5M
Awards: 2013 National Lottery Award: Best Heritage Project 2012 Friends of Glasgow West: Gold Award