The oldest part of the existing Culachy House was built in the late 18th century. This rectangular three bay house now forms the west wing of the present house. A new front or east wing was added c.1840-50 of four bays with hood moulded windows, crow stepped gables and an advanced porch. Six pepper pot corner turrets were added at this time of which one survives.
In 1893 M K Angelo commissioned William Laidlaw Carruthers of Inverness to extend and alter the house. He added the drum towers and the loggia to the north end of the east wing and a block of bathrooms at the South West corner. New attic rooms were created and the interior was remodelled.
The house remained in private ownership until the family no longer wished to occupy the property, after their father’s death. The property was bought by a London based Scottish born banker, who wished to create a family retreat which could be used for business trips.
The extent of the restoration and modernisation works changed through the initial phases of the project with the main initial works being the consolidation of the main building and fitout, while the steading blocks were to be left. The works however changed to consolidate only the main house and fully refurbishment of the steading and game keepers cottage to the rear of the main house. This allowed some accommodation to be provided to the client.
FLN were involved in the mechanical and electrical services design for the restoration and modernisation of this Scottish Baronial House and associated steadings buildings to provide this family and business country retreat.
The installation was to an exacting standard with both the client and their interior designers having input into the visual aspects of the services design.
Private water supplies were taken from the hill side and treated to provide drinking water to this remote premise. Consideration was also given to renewable sources including biomass and hydro, however these technologies were not selected initially due to various reasons including the rural location of the property and the loads to be served.
FLN were involved in the design, specification, production of drawings and tender documentation for the M&E package. FLN also administered the M&E works on site in conjunction with the other design and client team members.